Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I wish I had Ivy

I am doing a Chinese lesson tonight at my church.  I teach 1st - 3rd grade and we just finished a unit on Hudson Taylor.  Do you know who he is?

We are going to put all the students in our big church bus, and drive them around town for awhile.  We will be pretending that we are going to a Chinese restaurant, but will actually return to church and go into a special room that is all set up to look like a Chinese Restaurant.  Yum!!

My daughter said, "Do you wish you had Ivy?"  I said, "Yes!"  Especially in her Chinese outfit.

Now, do you know who Hudson Taylor is?  I'm curious if you know!
Susan

6 comments:

  1. Hudson Taylor was one of my childhood heroes. I loved learning about all of the great missionaries: Hudson Taylor, Adoniram Judson, William Carey, Amy Carmichael...what inspiring stories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of Hudson Taylor, but I haven't really learned anything about him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A missionary for China right?? I know I have heard the name but it has been ages and ages ..

    hope it all goes good for you .. have tons of fun .. and laughs

    Marsali

    ReplyDelete
  4. beast-sbelle - Hudson is one of my favorites, but now I am reading a biography of John Peyton, and I can't put the book down. It is SO SCARY what he went through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma, Hudson is a missionary to China back in the 1800's. He has good stories to tell for children, but when your an adult you appreciate his life so much more. There is one word to describe him: SELFLESS.
    Imagine leaving everything you have (family, friends, money, comfort), and going DEEP inside China to tell people about Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Crazy Doll Lady - Yes, he is a missionary to China. I am so fascinated by missionaries by their selflessness and faith. He never asked for money. Even when he was training to go to China, he would never ask his boss for his paycheck so he could trust God to give him his money. He lived on the edge of faith, literally eating his last bags of rice knowing God would send the next one before he got too hungry. How incredible is that?
    Susan

    ReplyDelete